Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Hoping for a res-erection

"Did the erectile dysfunction happen before or after you grilled him about Jesus?" my friend asked in all sincerity.

It isn't the sort of issue I expected to face after only a fourth date with a new prospect, especially since I'm not religious.

"It's a problem that preceded Christ," I said, and smirked. Neither of us even tried not to cackle. We were changing at the gym; this was locker-room talk.

The subject of our conversation is a really sweet guy; I picked him up on my birthday. But after an intensive date weekend (three consecutive nights), I've established that he's got a lot going for him and two major strikes against him in terms of compatibility with me (I haven't yet determined whether they're related):

(1) He's a regular church-goer, and
(2) He can't keep an erection.

Performance anxiety is surely the culprit, right? I fear my blog might be aggravating the situation. Or rather, his knowledge of it. And that is what my friend was getting at. You see, once he told me he was a practising Christian, I ran to tell all my friends about this anachronism I was dating. And then I told him about their reactions to hearing that he's religious. It was too early for me to realize that he considers spirituality private, and that I'd inadvertently betrayed his trust.

So, I suppose he thinks I'm running around telling all my girl friends about his sub-standard sexual performance and writing about it on the internet for the whole world to see.

All of a sudden, I feel like a really bad date.